Torsion of the intestines is a rather dangerous phenomenon, both for humans and for animals. You should immediately take action if you see all the symptoms of intestinal torsion. In cats and dogs, this problem should be correctly diagnosed, because, unlike humans, our pets cannot say what they have and where it hurts. When a gut inversion occurs, you should respond quickly and correctly recognize all the clinical signs. The life of the animal largely depends on the speed of diagnosis and action. This problem leads to the death of tissues, a sharp deterioration in the condition of the cat, a violation of the blood supply to the organs of the gastrointestinal tract.
Causes of intestinal torsion
The causes of intestinal torsion are various. Most often, veterinarians have to deal with the following ones:
- tumors and other common diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as hernias;
- frequent constipation, which subsequently, can lead to inversion;
- the ingress of foreign bodies first into the stomach, and then into the intestines of the animal;
- increased activity after eating food.
Lack of proper nutrition can lead to intestinal problems in the future. In the diet of the animal should be, at least once a week, liquid food present: soup broth. This does not mean that the diet of a cat or dog should be similar to the human diet, but, the absence of liquid food, can lead to frequent constipation (coprostasis), ileus (intestinal obstruction).
Gastrointestinal diseases, tumors, hernias can be the root cause of a disturbance in the intestines and, as a result, lead to inversion.
Foreign bodies that are not able to digest (threads, New Year's rain, their own wool), getting into the stomach, and after it into the intestines, become tangled and lead to constipation, obstruction, tangling of the intestines. The use of laxatives at this point can aggravate the situation and cause a rupture of the intestine.
Often kittens and puppies that are active after eating are susceptible to inversion of the intestines. Active behavior, running and jumping cause cramping in the intestines.
Other causes can lead to inversion, but the above are the most common in veterinary practice.
The first, significant factor indicating that the cat will have vomiting. It is observed in almost 99% of cases. Accompanied by bloody discharge or with small blood spots. In parallel with vomiting, the cat (cat) becomes nervous, sometimes it can even show aggression, which is caused by severe pain. The animal cannot eat or drink.
Severe abdominal pain is manifested by a plaintive meow, or even a scream. In addition, the cat’s stomach becomes puffy and hard to the touch. Bloating is accompanied by flatulence of the intestines, which greatly enhances pain. When touching the stomach, the cat can be aggressive, bite.
During this period, the animal cannot normally go to the toilet due to severe pain. Gradually, the body is depleted and dehydration sets in. In this case, the depletion of the body can occur within a few days. But, before that, the cat may die from pain shock, in the absence of quickly provided first aid.
All of the above clinical signs are the first to be paid attention to in order to diagnose intestinal torsion. For a 100% determination of the cause, you should take a picture (radiography) or ultrasound diagnosis of the abdominal cavity. The veterinarian will immediately see an extension of the small intestine or duodenum with the possible presence of fluid in the cavity. In addition, the cat may have a rectal inversion (blind and colon sections).
After the first acute symptoms of the disease appear, a number of measures should be taken that will alleviate the condition of the animal, although they will not solve the problem as a whole.
First aid measures:
- If possible, give an anesthetic injection. This will reduce pain. Protects the animal from pain shock. Do not give pain medication in tablets (oral).
- lay the cat on a towel or rag, as he will have frequent vomiting. After this, try not to disturb the animal, but give him rest.
- In no case do not feed the cat, since the inversion is characterized by intestinal obstruction and eating can only aggravate the condition.
- A saucer with water can be placed next to it so that the animal can drink water.
- Try to take him to the vet as soon as possible. The sooner the doctor begins treatment of the disease and performs the operation, the faster it will turn out to alleviate the pain in the cat and get rid of the disease.
Torsion of the intestines is a problem that is solved, in most cases, in an operable way. And, the earlier the operation is performed, the higher the chances of recovery. After diagnosing the exact location of the inversion, the veterinarian chooses a solution. If necrosis affects a minimum of intestinal tissue, the doctor cuts out the affected area and spreads the twisted section in the correct anatomical position. In the simplest cases, the veterinarian just needs to lay the intestines correctly, removing the nodes that have appeared.
Depending on the complexity of the injuries caused, how difficult the operation will be, as well as the postoperative recovery period.
Postoperative care and rehabilitation
Treatment of cat inversion in an operable way cannot do without consequences. But, if everything is done correctly, the animal will quickly recover. After the operation, the following conditions must be met:
- provide peace to the animal;
- take medications prescribed by your doctor to heal wounds and restore bowel function;
- follow a strict diet (especially in the first weeks after surgery);
- monitor changes in the condition of the animal;
- keep the apartment clean and disinfect.
Often, after the operation, the cat cannot eat on its own, therefore, it will be necessary to give food for some time through a catheter. A catheter enters the abdominal cavity and liquid food is introduced through it.
The intestines are a very important part of the body and problems with them are always fraught with pain and risk of infection for the animal. No one is safe from intestinal upset, but, nevertheless, if such a misfortune has occurred with your pet, then, the main thing is to correctly diagnose the cause and take all necessary treatment measures in the shortest possible time.