After sterilization by ovariohysterectomy or ovariectomy, the amount of sex hormones in the animal’s body decreases sharply, which leads to a slowdown in metabolic processes. Avoidance of overweight and the development of obesity due to changes in metabolism will help a special food for sterilized cats.
After such an operation, animals tend to form crystalluria, in which crystals form in the bladder that traumatize its walls and provoke cystitis.
Principles of feeding a sterilized cat
You can recommend a sterilized cat diet, consisting only of natural products or specially designed for sterilized animals feed industrial production.
- Add vegetables to the diet, but do it discreetly so that the animal does not turn away from food.
- Wet food for sterilized cats is necessary, because after surgery, the amount of water they drink can be significantly reduced. In some cases, cats refuse to drink at all. You can increase the amount of water in the diet with the help of special canned goods in cans or in packs, since they contain a lot of liquid.
- The food chosen should contain as little salt as possible and should be classified as Premium or Super Premium. On a pack of such food there is an inscription "for sterilized cats".
Owners are wondering which feed is best for sterilized cats for the simple reason that after the operation, the animal begins to gain weight quickly. This adversely affects the health of the pet, in order to avoid this, it is necessary to reduce portions during feeding and give more water to drink.
What should not be given
Even the best food for sterilized animals will not benefit, if you do not take into account the individual characteristics of the pet.
It is harmful to give:
- Fatty meats such as pork, lamb, duck or goose are difficult to digest in the cat's body. If the animal loves raw meat, then you can occasionally feed it to him, but only after freezing.
- Bones of chickens.
- Sugar, spices, salt, as they accumulate in the body, which leads to obesity and disease.
- Sausage, smoked meats, fried meat.
- Fish, since it contains a lot of magnesium and phosphorus, which provoke crystalluria.
Recommended premium feed
Eukanuba Sterilized Weight Kontrol - is a dry food for sterilized cats in granules. The composition is designed specifically for animals prone to overweight. It contains trace elements, L-carnitine, vitamins and macronutrients. Solid feed consistency for effective tooth cleaning and preventing the formation of tartar. The disadvantage is that the feed is based on corn and chicken, which can cause allergic reactions.
Royal Canin Neutered Young Male and Young Female feed. They can feed sterilized overweight cats. The composition is enriched with L-carnitine, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
The main components are corn and chicken, which are allergens, preservatives are also present.
Purina Pro Plan After Care granules are suitable for feeding your sterilized cat, prone to obesity. The coating on granules provides high-quality cleansing of the teeth and prevents the formation of tartar. The low content of carbohydrates and high - proteins, provides a low calorie content. At the same time, the food is perfectly absorbed and provides a feeling of satiety for a long time.
All feeds of industrial production are divided into classes: economy, premium, super premium and holistic. Holistic feeds have the best characteristics. (but also the most expensive), as they help to avoid the development of obesity in animals after surgery. Moreover, they are the most balanced in composition, so you do not have to feed the cat with other products. Fodder of a class of holistic from Acana, Pronature Holistic and Felidae differ in impeccable quality.