More and more pet owners are switching to an industrial diet with the inclusion of dry and canned foods. Associate this with the ease of use, the calculation of servings. Finished feeds contain the required amount of nutrients (proteins, fats, carbohydrates), nutrients. Many manufacturers provide a separate line for small pets. Typically, the packaging indicates how many grams of feed the puppy is given.
Causes and danger of overeating in puppies
Overeating is a dangerous problem for puppies, as the growing body needs a certain amount of calories and nutrients, nutrients for normal development. Deviations up and down lead to different violations.
- lack of feeding;
- unlimited access to the bowl with the left feed;
- predisposition to overeating;
- mistakes of the owner in the preparation of the diet (incorrect ratio of carbohydrates, proteins and fats, nutrient deficiency);
- constant serving of food from the table;
- health problems (metabolic or hormonal imbalance).
Overeating with dry food does not threaten the pet, since the dog eats the product only when she wants to. Usually the problem is associated with natural food. Two options: table handouts or a feeling of limited time for eating food. In the second case, instinct is triggered.
Interesting fact! There is a version that overeating in dogs sometimes occurs on nervous grounds - due to stress, fear, boredom or other factors. Not all experts agree with this. For example, British scientists say that the problem is not in the emotional background of the animal, but in human psychology. For example, the owner often humanizes the pet.
The main danger of overeating in puppies is an indigestion, from which a fragile organism suffers. Gastrointestinal problems affect the health of other organs and systems. Other problems: overweight, metabolic disorders, distortion of taste habits.
The causes and danger of overeating in puppies is an important issue, as this affects the health of a growing pet. The decision will help the use of information on the regimen, frequency, feeding rules.
How to correctly measure the weight of a puppy
To determine the normal development of the pet, you will need to find out how to correctly measure the puppy's weight. Why is this needed? The main goal is mass control to eliminate obesity or malnutrition. Ways:
- dog scales - vary by manufacturer, breed categories;
- steelyard - separately measure the bag, remember the value, place inside the puppy, measure again (subtract the first number from the result);
- scales for people - suitable if the puppy is large.
Regardless of the method chosen, one rule must be followed: weigh the dog in the morning on an empty stomach or after walking, where the pet will empty the intestines, bladder. The implementation of the recommendations will give accurate results, which is extremely important when maintaining a puppy.
Features of feed of different classes
In pet stores there are 4 classes of feed: Economy, Premium, Super-Premium and Holistic. The main differences are the proportion of protein, the quality of the ingredients, the ratio of nutrients, the price tag. In each segment there are manufacturers that produce products for puppies.
Features of feed of different classes:
- Economy In feed, plant components prevail over meat products. Instead of quality meat, slaughterhouse waste and offal are usually used. In most cases, there are artificial additives. The ratio of nutrients rarely meets the needs of the pet. Brands: Oscar, Chappi, Pedigree.
- Premium There are meat components (usually chicken, turkey, fish). Of carbohydrates - cheap fillers (corn, wheat), rarely added to the feed rice, oats, barley. Complexes of vitamins and minerals are not inferior in quality to high classes. Of the minuses - the origin or percentage of the ingredients is not always noted. Famous brands: Happy Dog, Hill's. Pro Plan and Royal Canin.
- Super premium. In the production of using natural products. To provide protein take fresh meat (chicken, ducklings, rabbit meat, other species). Vegetables, fruits, and greens predominate from plants. Supplements (vitamins, minerals, fatty acids) are of natural origin. Brands: 1st Choice, BritCare, Grandin, Almo Nature.
- Holistic. This is a class of high-quality feeds, the proportion of meat protein in which exceeds 50%. For manufacturing, they usually take products from the nearest farms. Grains are rarely added, plant components - herbs, vegetables, fruits. A large number of natural additives. Brands: GO! Natural Holistic, Belcando, Artemis, Pronature Holistic.
The best choice for puppies is Super Premium. Pros: high-quality composition and a wide range. The price of most products allows you to take feed on an ongoing basis at any income level.
Norms of feeding puppies with dry food
The main indicator in determining the norm of feeding puppies with dry food is energy value, or calorie content. This allows you to correctly calculate the daily portion, to determine the quality, digestibility of the feed. The puppy needs energy from food for growth and development. The average dry feeding rate by age is presented in the table.
|Puppy age||Daily rate per 1 kg of weight|
|up to 1 month||210-220 kcal|
|1-3 months||260-270 kcal|
|3-4 months||200-210 kcal|
|4-8 months||130-140 kcal|
|8-12 months||100-110 kcal|
Each puppy develops and grows individually, so caloric calculations should be adjusted. Of particular influence are the dimensions of the rock. Typically, the manufacturer on the feed packaging indicates the energy value per 100 g of product. To determine the portion, a kitchen scale or measuring cup with a mark on the daily norm is required.
Feeding rates for canned food
In canned food for puppies, the protein content is on average 15% higher than in adult pet foods. Wet and semi-moist products are used as the first complementary foods in the transition from milk to granules. From this principle come the norms of feeding canned food. It is better to start the transition with mousses or pastes for puppies, which should be combined with milk for up to 2-3 months.
Transition proportions (wet food / granules):
- 75% - 25%;
- 60% - 40%;
- 50% - 50%;
- 40% - 60%;
- 25% - 75%.
Each stage of the transition lasts 2-3 days. When the pet becomes an adult, the proportion of canned food remains at 25%. Do not give the dog only wet food, as this will adversely affect the condition of the teeth.
Frequency of feeding puppies
The frequency of feeding puppies depends on the breed, age, health and individual characteristics. However, the general rules have been adopted, which should be relied upon in the preparation of the diet.
Norms (per day):
- up to 1 month - 6 times;
- 1-2 months - 5 times;
- 2-4 months - 5-4 times;
- 5-12 months - 4-3 times.
The frequency of feeding is maintained regardless of the class and nutritional value of the feed. The higher the quality, energy value, the smaller the volume of each serving. This must be taken into account in the diet of puppies.
How to understand that a puppy is fed
Caring owners are interested in how to understand that the puppy is fed. When the pet is full, a small amount of food usually remains in the bowl.
If the little pet licked everything, but asks for more, then the next day you need to increase the portion. This means that a measured amount of food is not enough. As it turned out, overeating is no less dangerous than malnutrition. Therefore, you should not overfeed the puppy. The main thing is to find the right balance.
Water must be present in the puppy's diet. The liquid from food is used to ensure vital processes in the body. The norm for small pets is 100 ml per 1 kg of weight. When increasing the number of dry granules, it is necessary to increase the volume of water, since the feed is almost moisture free.